Saturday, July 09, 2005

The Last Juror Review



I haven't reviewed a book in a long time, mainly because I haven't had the time to read them. But I did finish The Last Juror a couple of weeks ago. The beginning was great, it went into detail about Willie Traynor leaving the college-world and settling down to work at a small-town newspaper. He was twenty-three years old and I could relate to him and what he was going through in a lot of ways. The book definitely was entertaining, and things heated up as a rape and murder story took over the plot. My favorite subplot was when the story dived into the history of the family of the rapist, Danny Padgitt. The back story of the Padgitt's is very intriguing, from where they live on their own little "island" at the far end of the town, to their illegal dealings in alcohol and drugs. Unfortunately, this part of the story was left aside for typical John Grisham writings about trials and juries. The title character to me was not an important person in the book, and the novel got worse and worse as the they focused more and more on this jurour and arbitrary details. The climax was rather disappointing, and the ending left you with a feeling of nothing. I hadn't read a Grisham book in a long time, but I remember his books being a lot better than this. While this book definitely keeps your interest throughout the story, the ending was so poor I would not recommend this book to anyone wanting to read a quality, exciting story.

No comments: