Today I went to attend a trade show in the industry. Instead of Mexico, this one was only about a mile away from where I work. Being kind of lazy, I went to the office first, then took a short El ride one stop over to the convention center. I stayed at the show for a few hours, did the whole professional thing, and then was ready to head back to my office building. As I left the show, I realized how nice and warm it was outside (There was a light breeze, the sun was shining, and it was over 70 degrees). As I was heading towards the El stop, I noticed that one of the cross streets was the street that my building is actually on. "Funny," I thought to myself, "I didn't realize my street went this far west." So I decided to head east down the street and enjoy the outdoors.
Only a couple of blocks away, I came upon a dead end at the edge of a forest preserve. Without hesitation, I decided to truly enjoy the outdoors and forge ahead through the woods in search of the street picking back up and continuing to my building. Well, it got muddy, and muddier, and the brush got very thick, and even though I was on the outskirts of Chicago, it quickly felt like I was in an isolated area in the middle of the wilderness. I was soon covered in dirt and leaves, and my shoes and pants were pretty much ruined (This is why I don't go shopping for good clothes, and nobody should expect me to keep the few nice articles I have in decent condition). After a couple more minutes, I happened upon a fairly wide creek and was staring at it contemplating what to do. I was so busy looking at the water I didn't notice two huge deer only 20 feet way from me. I yelled from being startled, and they did nothing. I tried yelling again, this time more loudly and directly at them, and for a sustained amount of time. Nothing, they just continued to ignore me. I walked up to them and scolded, "Why aren't you afraid of me, I'm a human, run away!" They both looked up at me, but continued to do absolutely nothing.
Just then, a cold shiver went down my spine. I turned around, and there were TWO MORE behind me, almost in touching-distance, just staring motionless. What was wrong with these things? Why weren't they scared of me, were they possessed? Were they even deer? While I like to pretend I'm a rural kid from Central Illinois, I'm not. For all I knew, these were rabid, carnivorous emu that wanted to rip my face off. I was far out of my element, and was now in fear of being attacked by four large mammals that were surrounding me in a very secluded, urban forest.
I grabbed a large stick near my feet, and start swinging and whooping wildly as I carefully side-stepped away. The four beasts continue to stand exactly as they were, pretty much oblivious to my antics. After my bit of lunacy, I dropped the makeshift weapon and took off like hell back the way I came. I eventually traversed back to civilization and hopped back on the El to return and resume being a lazy bloat.
Now it is several hours later and I'm sitting here at my desk. I'm staring at my computer screen and I can't help but think about the ordeal. What the hell were those things? Are they still lingering around the same spot, only about half a mile from where I'm sitting now? Will I ever see them again and solve this animal mystery? If anyone has any ideas who or what they are, or is willing to go back to the location to try and figure it out, let me know. Until then, I remain in a state of wonder.
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ross, I'm sorry. You're such a loser. :)
Post a Comment