I updated my blackberry (to a newer operating system) today, and while I was at it, I downloaded a couple of new themes to try out. One of them is supposed to give my bb a "modern" feel. Apparently this means it now looks and acts like an iPhone.
I've only been using this new theme for a few hours and it is already driving me nuts. How do pretty icons and images make my phone any better? Why do people want these fade-in and other animated transitions to go from screen to screen? It is stupid, it wastes time and it does not offer any advantages. If I hit a button, I want to see the screen I intended to see. I don't need to see something pretty for half a second in order to introduce a menu. I've read so many reviews and articles about how advanced the iPhone and similar devices are and many of them reference this "slickness" or use other similar terms. It isn't slick, it is inefficient. Slick is when technology auto-magically processes your input and produces the desired result instantaneously. Who are these users trying to impress with these animations?
I can't believe how many idiots fall for this eye candy and spend hours on their phone doing what another devices can do in much less time. People should buy a product that gives them more time for the rest of their life, not less.
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Totally agree. I do think it's important for a device to provide a pleasant experience, but there's a balance to be had. Plus, part of that pleasant experience is doing what you want when you want it. One of the main reasons I got an Android phone is because I can put widgets on my screen that give me all the most important information at a glance - calendar, to do, weather, etc. I don't want to be wasting time opening different applications to get to my data. It amazes me when I talk to people and I'm focusing on ways my phone helps me be more efficient and they ask "what about the games?" Sure, I've installed a couple time-wasters, but that's the least of my concerns when I'm looking at a SMARTphone.
Can't all smartphones display weather, calendar, etc. on the homescreen? Blackberry can, I thought iPhone could too.
Post a Comment