Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Twitter What?


Lately it seems every other article or website I read mentions Twitter. Twitter this and Twitter that. Twitter is better than [insert internet communication service here] and somehow acts as a Get Out of Jail Free card in Europe. So I spent about twelve minutes today researching Twitter and reading about how it works. It seems pretty straightforward, it has applications or integrates with services I use (Blackberry, Facebook, etc.), but I still don't understand something. What's the point?

First of all, Twitter seems most practical when your friends use it. Do I know anyone who regularly twitters? Is anybody reading this right now that has a Twitter account? If you do, why can't you just send me an e-mail if you want to tell me something? Or if it is supposedly urgent, send me an instant message. I guess I could post what I'm doing or thinking at any point in time, but that seems silly. I doubt anyone really cares to know to-the-minute updates on if I am staring at a client's post-processor while at work, waiting in line to buy an apple juice, or excited to be on my way to a poker game. I give general updates once in awhile on here, post if something significant happens, or I'll rant for no reason when I'm bored. If someone is really that interested they can subscribe to these with my Blogger account's RSS feed, but I don't think anyone really does that. My away messages usually give a vague description of what is going on ("Working...") and I feel like that is all anyone needs to know. I've never filled out a Facebook Status or felt any desire to partake in microblogging. I think it would feel creepy if I knew people were constantly being updated on what I was doing and thinking multiple times everyday.

So I really do not see the point of this trendy Twitter service. I would be really interested to hear from anyone who uses and likes it and why they use it as opposed to alternative methods. Oh, and if you are a Crackberry user and I don't already have you as a contact, send me your PIN. I do really like the BB Messenger application. Have a happy and safe new year everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've toyed with Twitter a bit, but for the most part I agree with you. The one thing I do think is cool about Twitter is the SMS integration. With it, you can send 20 text messages for the price of one (assuming you don't already have an unlimited plan).

I don't really use Twitter, but I subscribe to SMS updates for all my friends who do. It's mildly interesting.